“Who sends birthday ecards anymore?!” a friend asked me a few weeks ago as I sat browsing through ecards, meaning to select the perfect one for a relative’s birthday. I wondered if she was right and if birthday ecards were indeed becoming history.
As someone who received a bunch of birthday ecards in her inbox this past weekend, I can attest to the fact that ecards definitely have their place, even in this world of instant messaging and nearly free phone calls. Sure, you receive text messages, voice mails and phone calls all wishing you a happy birthday, but, there’s something about a birthday ecard that just sets it apart, ensuring that both the sender and the birthday wish stay in your memory for a long time.
When you send birthday ecards, you show the recipient how much you value your bond, simply because:
*You take the time to visit an ecard website and select an appropriate birthday ecard.
* You spend a few minutes typing out a special message, even if it’s a short one. You lend a personal touch just by adding a few of your own words.
* You take care to select other preferences such as personalized music, pictures or background options.
Besides, you have the option of scheduling your birthday ecards ahead of time so that you don’t forget or miss sending them out. This happens to be my favorite reason for sending birthday ecards, since I often do this a week or so in advance when I find some free time. This way, I don’t have to worry about forgetting someone’s birthday or missing them if they are out celebrating.
Of course, when you are the recipient of birthday ecards, you enjoy several benefits.
* You can view the wishes your loved ones send you and respond to them at leisure.
* You appreciate the fact that they took the time and effort to choose a birthday ecard just for you on your special day and personalized it with their words and other options.
* You can revisit the ecard any time you want, and share it with others if you so choose.
* You can be pretty sure of receiving your birthday greetings no matter where you are. No chance of the mailman missing you because you’re out of town or moved without giving your friends your new address!
These little details, though seemingly insignificant, make birthday ecards relevant even when there are a million other ways to communicate and send birthday wishes.
What are your favorite reasons for sending birthday ecards? And what do you think is the best part of receiving them?
For me, it’s the fact that even though I had to go out of town on an unanticipated trip on my birthday this year and didn’t get to check my messages, I still didn’t miss a single birthday wish from my friends and family. And I can tell you from experience – it’s a lovely feeling to come back to an inbox full of birthday ecards.