Just for Fun Father’s Day Facts and Trivia
Father’s Day is right around the corner. In honor of this very special day, why not take a stroll down memory lane and take a peek at the interesting facts about the origins and history of Father’s Day. There are also some fun factoids as well.
- 2009 marks the 100 anniversary of the origins of Father’s Day.
- Sonora Louis Smart Dodd is the founder of Father’s Day. In 1909, she wanted to honor and do something very special for her father, William Smart. Mr. Smart, a widower and Civil War veteran, was left to raise a newborn and five other children after Sonora’s mother died during childbirth.
- The first Father’s Day was celebrated in Washington, in June, 1910.
- Father’s Day was celebrated on different dates until 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed Father’s Day to be held on the third Sunday in June.
- In 1972, President Richard Nixon made it permanent – the national observance of Father’s Day would be held annually, on the third Sunday in June.
- Today, there are over 64 million fathers in the United States.
- As of 2006, there are over 14,000 hardware stores and over 23,000 sporting good stores in the USA.
- Almost 95 million Father’s Day cards were given to dads last year.
- Believe it or not, ties are still a popular gift for Father’s Day.
Happy Father’s Day!